Core knowledge of AIDS prevention and education
- Published: December 02, 2019
- Source: Tianmen Center for Disease Control and Prevention
I. Understanding of the hazards of AIDS to the elderly
(1) AIDS is an infectious disease with high harm and high mortality rate. It is currently incurable and without vaccine prevention.
(2) In recent years, the number of HIV-infected persons aged 60 years and over has increased year by year. The number of newly reported HIV / AIDS cases aged 60 and above in China each year increased from 5,943 cases in 2010 to 31,541 cases in 2018, accounting for an increase in the composition of reported cases from 9.3% to 21.2%. It is mainly male, but both male and female cases increase significantly.
(3) AIDS requires life-long treatment, which will cause severe burden on families and individuals.
2. AIDS prevention knowledge for the elderly
(1) Unprotected commercial sex is at high risk for HIV infection. Unprotected commercial sex, especially unprotected sex with low-profile places (such as township rental houses, rental houses in urban-rural junctions, railway sheds, etc.), has a high risk of HIV infection.
(2) Persistent use of condoms each time can effectively reduce the risk of infection and transmission of AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases.
(3) The use of post-exposure prophylaxis within 72 hours can reduce the risk of HIV infection.
(4) Elderly people often have basic diseases such as hypertension, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, diabetes, etc. Taking aphrodisiac drugs indiscriminately can cause serious consequences and even sudden death.
Testing and treatment
(1) Regular HIV testing and counselling, early awareness, early prevention and early treatment.
(2) Sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis can increase the risk of HIV infection and must be promptly diagnosed and treated at regular medical institutions.
(3) Early treatment with HIV after infection with HIV can prolong life, improve quality of life, and reduce HIV transmission.
Laws and regulations
Knowing that you have AIDS, you must inform sexual relations in a timely manner. The intentional transmission of AIDS is immoral and you must bear legal responsibility. (Tianmen City Center for Disease Control and Prevention)